Yield: 4 Servings | Source: www.kristineskitchenblog.com
- 2 medium delicata squash
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- additional cilantro or cheddar cheese for serving, if desired
Roast the Squash:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Slice the tough stem end of the delicata squash, then slice each squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place cut-side-up in a baking dish and lightly brush with olive oil on all sides. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast squash for 30-35 minutes, until tender when pierced with a fork. Maintain oven temperature.
Cook the Quinoa:
- Bring 1 ¼ cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in the quinoa, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until liquid has been absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat.
Prepare the Filling:
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, ¼ teaspoon salt, tomato sauce, and water, and cook at a low simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cooked quinoa, black beans, cilantro, and cheddar cheese.
Fill and Bake the Stuffed Squash:
- Scoop the filling into the squash halves. Bake in the 375-degree oven for 10 minutes, until filling is heated through and squash is tender. Serve, topped with additional cheese and cilantro if desired.