Yield: 4 Servings | Source: theviewfromgreatisland.com
For the Salad
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 star anise (optional)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large pummelo
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 2 shallots
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- large handful cilantro leaves
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- For the Dressing
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp reserved pomelo marinade
- 1/4 tsp salt
- set oven to 425F
- Put the sugar, 7 tablespoons of water, the cinnamon stick and star anise in a small saucepan. Stir to dissolve the sugar, and then bring to a simmer. Cook gently for 1 minute, then take off the heat and add the lemon juice.
- Cut the thick skin off the pomelo, being sure to get off all the white part, and segment the fruit with a small serrated knife. Cut the fruit into bite sized pieces and put in a bowl.
- Pour the cooled syrup over the grapefruit and let sit for about an hour. After that, remove the cinnamon and anise, and strain the pomelo, reserving the liquid.
- Rinse and trim the stem ends off the Brussels sprouts. Peel and chop the shallots into bite sized pieces. Lay the sprouts and the shallots out on a baking sheet. Toss with 3 tablespoons of the oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and black pepper to taste. Roast for about 20 minutes, and then set aside to cool.
- Make the dressing by whisking together all the ingredients. Put the sprouts and shallots, along with the pomelo and cilantro, in a large salad bowl.
- Serve right away.