Yield: 4-6 Servings | Prep Time: 1hr 5min | Source: www.veganyackattack.com
- 5 cups large-chopped red cabbage (1/2 large head)
- 2 cups large-chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper seeds removed
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper seeds removed
- 1 rounded cup chopped pink or yellow apple
- 1 cup peeled, chopped winter squash
- 2 cloves peeled garlic
- 1 tablespoon high-temp cooking oil
- Salt & pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Fresh dill sprigs optional garnish
- Sour cream or plain yogurt (optional)
- 1/4 cup dry squash seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic lemon salt
- For the soup, preheat oven to 400F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Place cabbage, tomatoes, red onion, bell peppers, apple, squash, and garlic onto baking sheet, drizzle with oil and toss to evenly coat.
- Roast for 30 minutes, stirring veggies around halfway through. Once tender, with lightly-browned edges, transfer baking sheet contents to a large soup pot. Add 4 cups of vegetable broth to pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, adjust heat to medium-low, cover with lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Next, in a blender or food processor, carefully puree roughly 1/2 of the fruits/veggies. You can also use an immersion blender, though it may take longer, and not be as smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to the pot, and stir in paprika, marjoram, and lemon juice. Simmer for 5 minutes, while prepping squash seeds. After 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- For the toasted squash seeds, warm oil in a small pan over medium heat. Once hot, add squash seeds to pan and toast them until golden brown, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes. In the last minute, add garlic lemon salt, and stir to coat seeds evenly.
- Once ready to serve soup, garnish each bowl with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt, fresh dill, and 1 tbsp. toasted squash seeds.