Yield: 10 Servings | Prep Time: 1 Hour 25 Minutes | Source: www.southernliving.com
- 10 large pattypan squash (4 to 6 inches wide)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces baby spinach
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup cooked brown rice
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill, divided
- Chives, chopped (optional)
- 5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1¼ cups)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut off top third of each squash, and scoop out pulp, using a serrated corer or melon baller, leaving a 1-inch shell intact. Coarsely chop pulp; reserve 1 cup of chopped pulp and discard remaining pulp. Place squash bowls in an 11×13-inch baking dish, and sprinkle with salt. Bake in preheated oven 10 minutes.
- Place beef in skillet, and cook, stirring to crumble, until starting to brown, about 6 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and reserved 1 cup chopped squash pulp to skillet, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in spinach; cover and cook until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Uncover and cook until liquid is almost evaporated, about 1 minute. Transfer beef mixture to a medium bowl; cool 10 minutes.
- Stir eggs, cooked rice, pepper, and 3 tablespoons of the dill into beef mixture. Gently stir in cheese. Spoon mixture into baked squash bowls.
- Bake squash in preheated oven until tops begin to brown and squash is tender, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle squash with remaining 1 tablespoon dill and chives to garnish.